A Kinetic sculpture, Gigantaurus Philosophical Toy
Mixed Media using 4x5’ images, motorized mount, strobes and Sound
The Retrospectroscope para cinematic device was made using a single sheet of Plexiglas 5 ft. in diameter, and was mounted directly on a stand and illuminated from behind. As an optical device, its function was to create the illusion of movement utilizing large format still images. The Retrospectroscope apparatus has gone through many incarnations, its presence belies the processes that have created it. The Retrospectroscope traces an evolutionary trajectory, encircling the viewer in a procession of flickering fantasies of fragmented lyricism. This re-invention simulates the illusion of the analysis of motion to recall early mysteries of the quest for this very discovery now taken for granted; the "Muses of Cinema" represented by the female figures on the disk, have emerged from a dark Neoclassical past. The Retrospectroscope installation was sponsored by The San Francisco Art Institute's 125th Anniversary Grant. The original installation proposal addressed the fact that its inspiration came from considering the works of Edweard Muybridge, who used his zoopraxiniscope at the San Francisco Art Association in 1878, (the former name of the San Francisco Art Institute) to project magic lantern slides of some of his motion studies. This may have been the first time moving images were projected on the West coast.
The Retrospectroscope has been installed in the following Venues:
2008 - Artist Television Access Front display window -Month of April- San Francisco, CA
2000 - The Lab- San Francisco, CA
1997 - Vernissage Graduate Thesis Exhibition, Fort Mason, San Francisco Art Institute
1996 - 125th Anniversary Celebration for the San Francisco Art Institute